Your heating system is the home’s largest energy expense. The furnace accounts for nearly 45 percent of the average American home’s yearly energy bills. To keep your energy bills low and extend the life of your heating system, preventative maintenance is a crucial part of your yearly home plan.
Whether your home heat is powered by a boiler or furnace, keeping the unit clean and scheduling a yearly inspection will alert you to small issues before they become major repair needs. In most situations, damage has already occurred by the time you notice a change in the unit, so having a reliable Seattle, WA heating repair company in mind will help you address the problem immediately.
Heating Maintenance Tips
While scheduling a yearly inspection and making needed repairs will ensure your heating system works throughout the year, there are other steps you can take to make the heating unit more effective.
- Conduct a visual inspection of your home. Look for spaces near your doors, windows, and other areas of the home that could let in cold air. Fill with foam spray or sealant to avoid drafts.
- Ensure all heating vents are open. If the vents in your home are on the floor, double check that furniture hasn’t shifted to cover the vent and block heat from distributing throughout the room.
- Clean or replace your filter. Dirty filters can block air flow. Disposable filters should be changed every 30 to 90 days.
- Have heating systems and ducts cleaned yearly. A quality heating specialist in Seattle can thoroughly clean your ducts, improving air flow and quality in your home.
- Ensure the exhaust flue is clear. Hire a professional heating specialist to clean the space to make sure the furnace releases poisonous gases outside of your home. Blocked flues could cause carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide to seep into your home, creating major health problems for your family.
Keeping your home’s heating system running smoothly means your family will be comfortable through the winter months and you’ll pay less on energy bills. Find a reliable heating specialist in Seattle, WA to schedule your yearly maintenance inspection.